I Made One Responsible Decision And Now I Finally Love Myself
You guys, I am like so responsible now. You won’t believe how responsible I am. It’s like, crazy.
Okay so, earlier this week my friends invited me to go to Las Vegas later this month. They said we would fly and stay from Friday to Sunday. At first I thought that sounded doable. I could take Friday off work, and my contribution for the trip wouldn’t cost more than a paycheck. Boom. Easy. Done.
But then it happened. I had a… wait for it… responsible thought.
Oh my gosh! I know right?!
I realized that those few hundred dollars would help me pay off my old credit card debt before my birthday in April, which has been my goal this year. I also realized that if I went to Vegas, it would make me miss a session of the class at UCB I’m taking, and I’d rather not miss one out of only eight classes (even though they offer make-up classes, it’s just not the same). And even more importantly, I realized I’d feel better rested and happier at home relaxing for the weekend than stomping around Vegas in uncomfortable heels at 3am with two people I know and five that I don’t.
I realized I wanted to make the responsible choice.
“But Elllieeee!” the voice in my head whined, “it’s Vegas! It’s fun!”
To which the other voice in my head countered, “is it though? Is it?”
That was the moment I knew deep in my gut that I’ve leveled up in life. I mean, look at me. I only had Starbucks twice this week.
I am now a responsible adult. This achievement has been unlocked. The next level is probably actually paying off my debt instead of saying I will without ever paying it, but I’ll cross that bridge when I get there.
I’m excited to embark on my adulthood journey, and maybe I’ll even unlock the following achievements soon:
- Making coffee at my house instead of buying it
- No longer feeling nervous every time a bouncer checks my ID even though I’m well over 21
- Saying things like “I’ve gotta head back to the office”
- Learning how to use functions in Excel
- No longer referencing Vines from five years ago
- Going to a farmer’s market
- Actually talking to other humans at the dog park instead of just their dogs
- Respecting my lactose intolerance
- Stop referencing Twilight and also stop pretending my love for Twilight is purely ironic (and also stop Googling Robert Pattinson after 10pm on weeknights)
- Figure out what a stock is
- Acquire more cardigans
Mmmm. I feel so refreshed. I should reward myself. I think I’ll go shopping.
Ellie Guzman is a writer in Los Angeles. She’s so responsible now. She had a vegetable this morning and even drank water. It’s insane. Wanna help pay off her debt?